Looking for enchanted forest story ideas for your next writing project? You’ve come to the right place! These enchanted forest writing prompts are perfect for middle-schoolers to high school students to NaNoWriMo warriors to any seasoned writers!
Read on for prompts like a witch who control the forest with her singing voice, to a lake that turns anyone who swims in it into fish!
Table of Content
- The Definition of Enchanted Forest
- The Allure of Enchanted Forests
- Elements Found in Enchanted Forest Stories
- Enchanted Forests Story Ideas
- More Ideas?
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links.
The Definition of Enchanted Forest
Enchanted forest is an element common in folklore and fantasy stories, which refers to a forest under, or containing, enchantments. In folklores and fantasy stories, we often see the heroes or protagonists going into the forest and either:
– facing danger (for example, Hansel and Gretel meeting the cannibalistic witch), or
– finding a safe haven or helpful aid (for example, Snow White finding a refuge from her evil stepmother in the dwarves’ house), or
– encountering an opportunity for adventure (for example, Robin Hood and his band of outlaws), or
– any combination of the above.
The Allure of Enchanted Forests
Enchanted forest represents an unknown or liminal place or phase, where our characters face their fears, or receives help for their trouble, or endure hardship to eventually prevail, or lose.
The enchanted forest is a place where transformation happens for the story’s heroes/protagonists because no matter what our characters experience in the enchanted forest, one thing is certain: they would never come back the same.
Elements Found in Enchanted Forests Stories
– Fantastical creatures: dragons, fairies, ghouls, imps, monsters, nymphs, unicorns, werewolves, etc.
– Fantasy races: centaurs, dwarves, elves, giants, gremlins, leprechauns, orcs, trolls, etc.
– Characters: adventurers, damsels in distress, dragon-slayers, fairy godmothers, heroes, shapeshifters, mischief makers, necromancers, treasure hunters, wise talking animals, wizards, witches, a mystery investigator, etc.
Enchanted Forests Story Ideas
Now that we have covered all the essential components to create an enchanted woodland narrative, let’s get started on some story ideas! The genders in the story ideas below are just placeholders and are not meant to enforce any hurtful stereotypes.
1. When you write your wish on a piece of leaf from a sacred tree deep in the enchanted forest, you will see it coming true.
2. An enchanted forest grows atop the back of a gigantic turtle. Who are its inhabitants?
3. In an enchanted forest, no one ever gets old because, there, time seems to stop. What kind of trouble is brewing there?
4. While battling for territory against the fairies, newcomers to the region, the leprechaun tribe enlists the help of a bunch of misfit teenagers.
5. After helping an injured bird, a girl follows the bird deep into its forest home to find that it’s part of an advanced avian civilization.
1. A boy with a penchant for littering in the forest whenever he goes on a hike returns home with a curse: every time he sneezes, tiny plants burst out of his mouth in lieu of droplets.
2. When someone takes a flower from an enchanted forest, a forest sprite will tag along and cause mischiefs wherever they go.
3. When fairies lose their wings, they become bitter creatures who are responsible for creating confusions among any adventurers they cross paths with: making them disoriented, stealing their supplies, etc.
4. An enchanted woodland where every single thing that lives inside of it are connected. For example: if one animal sees you, all of the animals see you.
5. When a witch is happy, she’s able to control an entire forest with her singing voice. What kind of chaos and shenanigans would follow when your character crosses path with her?
6. For hundreds of years, a band of naughty, tiny elves have been imprisoned within a massive tree trunk for upsetting a witch. Therefore, they’ve been luring people into the tree to trick the newcomers into releasing them from their prison.
1. Whenever a drop of blood gets spilled inside of an enchanted forest, it gets turned into seeds of nightmare that will ensnare anyone who falls asleep nearby.
2. Whenever anyone take a sip from a magical stream inside of a forest, they’ll find that they’re unable to leave the forest however hard they try.
3. Whenever someone swims in an enchanted deep in the forest, he/she will turn a fish. The only way to change back into a human is to lure other people there to take their place.
4. When someone takes a log, a branch, or even a twig from the trees of the enchanted forest, the piece of wood will come to life every night, looking for ways to go back to their home, or to plan revenge upon people who maim them.
5. Whenever a fruit from a sacred tree inside of a magical forest falls, someone nearby dies.
6. When a strange sound coming out of a forest begins attracting a horde of curious humans, they find out the hard way that it’s the Goddess of Earth, who has awakens after thousand years of slumber, and she needs sustenance.
Here are some picture-based enchanted forest prompts, because, a picture speaks a thousand words! Below are some image prompts as well as some prompt ideas to accompany each.
(Please click on the image for more information.)
1. Upon gazing into the keyhole of an old, forgotten treasure chest, a boy finds that it contains a lush, verdant forest.
2. Inside of an enchanted forest, there’s a mirror universe containing exact counterparts of everything that exist in this world.
(Please click on the image for more information.)
1. A teenage who has a habit of capturing fireflies and torturing them discovers that, during one full moon night, the creatures he captures transform into fairies and are all intent on launching a counterattack.
2. A woman unknowingly buys a relic containing a slumbering fairy from a garage sale. And when she accidentally breaks it, the little creature inside is finally free after eons of imprisonment.
There they are, some enchanted forest story ideas that hopefully will spark your inspiration!
Furthermore, here are some other posts that you might find interesting:
Or browse our Story Ideas & Writing Prompts category for more ideas!
Have any question or feedback? Then, feel free to contact me here. Until next time!