Are you looking for family drama story ideas for your next writing project? Read on for prompts like a city girl inheriting a farm that’s more than what meets the eyes, to a former soap opera actress bonding and opening a motel together with her daughter!
If you enjoy what you read, please consider buying me a ko-fi here!
As an opening, consider this quote:
Drama starts when logic ends.Ram Charan
And ain’t that true? Most problems in a story can be solved with good communication, patience, and time. However, wouldn’t that make for a boring story? Heighten the stake, heighten the circumstances, heighten the reactions while still making them real, and you’ve got yourself some drama, mama!
The Definition of Family Drama
Family drama is a genre of fiction that tells a more serious story instead of a humorous one, where the main characters are related to one another. Moreover, the plot revolves around how the entire family reacts to a central challenge, often carrying the themes of family bond, loss, and/or rift/feud.
The Appeal of Family Drama Stories
While the horror genre only appeals to a certain group of audience, the family drama genre enjoys a broader viewership. Not everyone can relate to and relish the dread of being chased by a killer clown, but most people can relate to family-related struggles.
Family drama shows the unique experiences that each character must go through, and make them all relatable to different audiences. Since they often carry universal themes like life’s setbacks, love and death, the pressures of family/home life, or the cycle of good against evil, family drama stories allow a reflection into our own family issues in real life.
——————————–Visit the School of Positive Transformation for High Quality, Accredited Well-Being Courses here. Manuscript Critique Get all of your office supplies at “bare bones” pricing. Wholesale pricing cuts out the middle man and brings you the lowest price on paper,folders, printers, and so much more!
Family Drama Story Ideas
From an estranged family to troublesome family dynamics, here are 10 family drama ideas to help you jump start your next great drama novel or movie script. Please note that the genders in these prompts are just placeholders and they do not mean to enforce any hurtful stereotype or offend anyone.
1. In a country where marijuana is outlawed, a girl inherits a strawberry farm on the suburb. It’s a cover for marijuana plantation, the source of livelihood for the people around its perimeter and the “glue” that holds the big family together.
2. An underdog team in a high school football championship flounders just weeks before their big match due to the passing of their beloved coach. But a humble janitor finds a way to revive their spirits through the power of cooking.
3. An aging actress who attempts to stay relevant enters a business venture together with her only daughter by opening a motel and fill it with the mom’s movie memorabilia. Then, various shenanigans ensue.
4. A famous influencer loses their wallet and cellphone when traveling to a remote area but managed to forge a deep connection with a new, chosen family.
5. Following an accident, an insecure teenager falls into a comma and lives in a strange land fueled by his subconsciousness. It gives him a chance to work on his own issues, and when he comes to, he is able to work on his relationship with his family.
BEFORE WE CONTINUE! Let me tell you about these books:
Egri begins with the core of any drama: the characters because all excellent dramatic writing is based on people, their relationships, and motivations. The Art of Dramatic Writing is a straightforward approach to create reality in writing, based on Egri’s ABCs of premise, character, and conflict. A sneak peek is available when you click on the image.
Dramatic writing involves realistic, complex and flawed characters that readers can identify to. This book will help you do just that, helping you explore the potential origins and related emotions underlying your characters’ flaws as well as helpful downloadable tools to help with character building. A sneak peek is available when you click on the book.
OKAY! Now to continue down our list of PROMPTS…
Family Rifts and Losses
1. The family of a detective must cope with the sudden fame following the father’s success in an important case relating to a powerful mafia. However, it soon becomes a curse since the mafia is now looking for a revenge.
2. A previously estranged family organizes an expedition to climb Mount Everest. It is part of the last will left by the late patriarch, his last effort to bring the family together.
3. Following a near-death experience that left a ruler grateful for the second chance, he did a 180 degree on how he ran his country. Thirty years later, he is regarded as the cruelest ruler ever. The narrator of the story is his daughter.
4. The story of a scandal surrounding a musical prodigy’s substance abuse case. It reveals the horrifying truth of how her mother was actually the one supplying her with the substance ever since she was a kid to “inspire” her creativity.
5. A girl’s dream is to see her estranged father and mother reunited for the last time because the mother only has weeks left to live. The only problem? Her father is now so famous and wants nothing to do with them. (He’s the president, a famous actor, etc.)
There they are! Ten family drama story ideas to help you jumpstart that writing project of yours. Furthermore, here are other posts that you might find interesting:
- Psychological Thriller Story Ideas
- Enchanted Forest Story Ideas
- How Characters Meet: 25 Ideas
- 12 Inspiring Hero Story Ideas
- 12 Riveting High School Romance Writing Prompts
- 12 Mafia Romance Story Ideas
- 12 Paranormal Romance Writing Prompts
- Soulmate Story Ideas
- Mermaid Story Prompts and Ideas
- Or browse our Prompts & Plot Ideas Category for more ideas!
Have any question or feedback? Feel free to contact me here. Until next time!