Are you looking for deep dark fantasy ideas for your next writing project? Read on for prompts like an elderly woman befriending the seven demons of grief following her husband’s death, to a painter imprisoning his victims inside of his paintings!
Table of Content
- The Definition of Dark Fantasy
- The Allure of a Dark Fantasy Story
- Elements of a Dark Fantasy Story
- Dark Fantasy Writing Prompts: Corruption
- Dark Fantasy Writing Prompts: Dark Creatures
- Dark Fantasy Writing Prompts: Cursed Artifacts
The Definition of Dark Fantasy
Dark fantasy is a subgenre that involves disturbing and frightening aspects and themes of fantasy. While the tone of fantasy is more whimsical, carefree and cheerful, dark fantasy’s tone is often dark and gloomy. Dark fantasy storyline often incites a sense of horror and dread more than anything else.
The Allure of a Dark Fantasy Story
We read books to seek an escape. In the same way, people who enjoy dark fantasy story are also seeking an escape. This kind of story helps the readers confront their fears, or inject a dose of adrenaline rush into their system. The darker, the better.
Due to the nature of the theme, it’s always prudent to include a trigger warning in your book, so your reader knows what they’re walking into.
Visit the School of Positive Transformation for High Quality, Accredited Well-Being Courses here. Get all of your office supplies at “bare bones” pricing. Wholesale pricing cuts out the middle man and brings you the lowest price on paper,folders, printers, and so much more! Manuscript Critique
Elements of a Dark Fantasy Story
Dark fantasy stories can be seen as an alternative to horror stories, in which the latter are often seen as focusing more on the visceral aspects of the stories with the former focusing more on the aesthetical aspects.
Here are some elements commonly found in dark fantasy stories:
- Supernatural creatures, so much so that the dark fantasy genre is oftentimes synonymous with the supernatural horror genre.
- Focusing more on the aesthetic than the visceral.
- Stories told from the monster’s or the supernatural being’s point of view. Example including Anne Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles and Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman.
- Features anti-hero or morally-ambiguous protagonists.
So, without further ado, here are some deep, dark fantasy plot ideas that will keep your readers on the edge of their seats.
Please note: the genders in these plots are just placeholders. (This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Dark Fantasy Writing Prompts: Corruption
1. Dissatisfied of the sugary heavenly life, Adam and Eve join forces with the serpent to escape the lull of Eden.
2. A senior Hollywood starlet’s youthful beauty lies in the curse she puts on every one of her co-stars. However, when she starts to encounter all kinds of incidents on the set of her latest movie, it’s clear that she has found her match.
3. A bullied teen discovers their family’s secret: a book of shamanism which grants its wielder a control over weather. Using the book, the bullied teen plots to exact revenge on their bullies.
BEFORE WE CONTINUE! Let me tell you about these books!
Please CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT EACH!
Jennifer Serravallo’s Writing Strategies Book is one of the most useful guides out there, with a whooping 85% reviewers giving it a 5-star review. Mark Dawson’s Writing A Page-Turner is another one worth checking out at a FREE cost to you with your Kindle. Or consider 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing by the late Gary Provost, one of America’s most beloved writing instructors. Have you read a quote that goes like this, ““This sentence has five words. Here are five more words. Five-word sentences are fine. But several together become monotonous…”? Yeah, that’s Gary Provost. Definitely check his works out!
Okay! Now to continue down our list of prompts…
Dark Fantasy Writing Prompts: Dark Creatures
1. An elderly woman whose husband just died is so lonely that she befriends not one, not two, but seven demons who regularly come to see her, who are actually the seven stages of grief.
2. The merpeople who lives on a secluded, hidden lake only come to life for one night every century. And they’re intent to use every second to rampage through the area, which may spell demise for the two couples who happen to camp nearby.
3. A witch (or a human) accidentally summons and bonds a demon to herself. As the latter begrudgingly enters an indentured servitude to the former, they secretly plan her demise with every chance they get.
4. An elderly man who lives alone has permanently loses his sight that when a portal opens in his living room straight into the gates of the Underworld, he mistakes Cerberus as a stray dog and begins befriending it.
Dark Fantasy Writing Prompts: Cursed Artifacts
1. A lonely, young janitor in a traveling circus befriends the new, famous resident magician. The former must make a stand when they catches the later trapping various victims inside of their magical mirror.
2. After stumbling onto an artifact on their latest hike and desecrate it, a group of college students are cursed with the inability to sleep. As fatigue and delirium slowly gnaw at their sanity, they begin turning against each other.
3. A painter imprisons his victims inside of his paintings using a magical brush before taking over their lives. The newest victim finds a loophole by finding a way to travel to other paintings and rallying the other victims to fight back.
There you are, ten deep dark fantasy story ideas or dark fantasy book ideas that hopefully will get your inspiration going! Other posts that you might find interesting:
- Crime Thriller Story Ideas
- Surreal Writing Prompts
- 11 Edgy Futuristic Story Ideas
- Witch Story Ideas
- 9 Inspiring Hero Story Ideas
- Or browse our Prompts & Plot Ideas Category for more ideas!
Have any question or feedback? Feel free to contact me here. Until next time!