Are you looking for romance story ideas with a twist for your next writing project? Read on for prompts like a city boy/girl realizing that their neighbor is a practicing witch, to a wounded hiker finding out that their savior is part of a werewolf tribe!
Jump to Section
- Why a Romance Story?
- Why Add a Plot Twist?
- Romance Story Ideas
If you enjoy what you read, please consider buying me a ko-fi here!
(This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Charming Fantasy Romance Story Ideas
Intriguing Mafia Romance Story Ideas
Thrilling Paranormal Romance Writing Prompts
Enticing Soulmate Story Ideas
Why a Romance Story?
Romance is one of the best selling genres of all time, and the pandemic only exacerbates the trend. The reason is simple. A happy ending is a must in the romance genre, and sometimes, that’s all we need in life. Even if it’s other people’s happy endings, and even if it’s mere fiction. It’s a feel-good escape from reality!
Here’s one cute quote I found about romance story:
Romance novels are birthday cakes and life is often peanut butter and jelly. I think everyone should have lots of delicious romance novels lying around for those times when the peanut butter of life gets stuck to the roof of your mouth.– Janet Evanovich (author of forty-two New York Times bestseller novels such as Going Rogue)
Why Add a Plot Twist?
The Romantic Writers of America notes that half of romance readers read romantic suspense. Apparently, more than ripped bodices and seductively attractive people, romance readers are eager to be immersed in a thrilling, tense, and melodramatic storyline. Who would have thought?
It’s the same reason why psychologists say that taking a roller coaster or doing other risky activities are the perfect things to do on your first date. It’s because the thrill of the experience boosts the same hormones that are responsible for inducing the feeling of love.
A twist can introduce that suspenseful aspect to pump the readers’ adrenaline and keep the scenes alive and engaging. Some examples of romance story with a twist: Great Expectations (1861, Charles Dickens), The Notebook (1996, Nicholas Sparks), and Gone Girl (2012, Gillian Flynn).
How to Execute a Plot Twist?
A plot twist may be hinted at or foreshadowed so that it doesn’t come off as jarring. Some ways you can execute a plot twist in your story is by a revelation of a secret, a reversal of fortune, a deus ex machina, a red herring, a flashback, using non-linear or reverse chronology narrative style, and using an unreliable narrator.
Read more about the definition of each here: 50 Completely Adaptable Plot Twist Ideas for Romance.
———-Visit the School of Positive Transformation for High Quality, Accredited Well-Being Courses here.
Romance Story Ideas
So, without further ado, here are some romance story ideas with a twist that will keep your readers on the edge of their seats. (Please note that the genders in these plots are just placeholders and they aren’t meant to enforce any stereotypes nor to offend anyone.)
1. Two neighbors met over a lost pet notice. The twist is, one of them is a practicing witch who specializes in love potions. When the other learns about this truth, they begin to wonder how much of their chemistry is genuine.
2. During a lone hiking trip, a hiker passes out and receives help from a female werewolf. The twist is, they changed him into a werewolf while he was unconscious because the elders wouldn’t let the woman assist anyone who wasn’t one of their own.
3. A man inherits an estate in the countryside that borders with a lake that turns out to be a habitat of a mermaid. The twist is, she’s cursed with the ability to be alive for a only week every two hundred years. What happens when the man falls in love with her?
BEFORE WE CONTINUE… Let me tell you about these books:
Please click on the book to learn more about it!
Utilizing plot twists and turns is necessary to create an engaging narrative, and Cleland is going to show you exactly how to do that. “…A master class in crafting plots that twist and turn…” ~Hallie Ephron, New York Times best-selling author of You’ll Never Know, Dear
Or perhaps, you’ve already figured out all the necessary plot twists and turns, but somethings still feel amiss?
Please click on the book to learn more about it!
Meaningful conflict is so much more than just a series of twists and turns. This second book of The Conflict Thesaurus will test your characters both inside and out with over 100 tension-inducing circumstances.
OKAY! Now to continue down our list of PROMPTS…
Secret Identity Twist
4. After moving into her late grandmother’s house in the rural area, an aspiring writer starts exchanging written letters with a fellow writer the old-fashioned way, via airmail. The twist is, the author of those letters is the quiet handyman she employs to work on the estate.
5. After leaving her shady old job behind, a woman resolves to turn her life around and work on a farm on the suburbs. The twist is, she pretends to be a young man in order to avoid the repercussions of her former life.
6. A friendship between a princess and her stable boy. The twist is, the boy is the heir of a clan who was defeated by the princess’ father, the King, twenty years ago. To save his life (or as a part of a revenge plan), he was smuggled into the royal court, hidden in plain sight.
Those are some romance story ideas with a twist that hopefully will get your inspiration going!
Need more prompts and story ideas? Here are some other posts that you might find interesting:
- 50 Plot Twist Ideas
- Family Drama Story Ideas
- Tragic Love Story Ideas
- Riveting High School Romance Writing Prompts
- Mafia Romance Story Ideas
- Paranormal Romance Writing Prompts
- Soulmate Story Ideas
- Mermaid Story Prompts and Ideas
Or browse our Story Ideas & Writing Prompts category for more ideas! Have any questions or feedback? Feel free to contact me here. Until next time!