Looking for unique werewolf story ideas to spark the imagination? You’ve come to the right place! Werewolves who can speak to dogs. A werewolf and a vampire who are trying to hide their true identities from one another. Read on for more prompts such as these!
Enjoying what you read? Buy me a ko-fi here, which will always be greatly appreciated 🙂
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dragon Story Ideas
Vampire Romance Writing Prompts
22 Enchanted Forest Story Ideas
22 Spellbinding Witch Story Ideas
Deep Dark Fantasy Ideas
A werewolf is a mythical human capable of shapeshifting into a wolf or human-wolf hybrid either voluntarily or due to an affliction/curse, often following a bite/scratch from another werewolf. The transformations typically takes place on a full moon night.
During the Late Middle Ages and Early Modern eras, an important, if minor, aspect of the “witch-hunt” phenomena is the persecution of werewolves and the related folklore. The trial of alleged werewolves began in what is now Switzerland (particularly the Valais and Vaud) in the early 15th century, peaked in the 17th, and died out by the 18th.
The first werewolf fiction originated from the story of Lycaon, an Arcadian King who tested Zeus by feeding him a dish of his dismembered son. Zeus punished Lycaon for this by turning him into a wolf and killing his sons.
Ever since then, werewolves have been depicted as anything from benign creatures who aided knights on their quests, to satanic beasts who crave human flesh and prone to violent outbursts. However, recently, with the rise of various back-to-nature sentiments, werewolves have been portrayed in a more sympathetic light, because they are regarded as a representation of humans who aligned themselves more closely with nature.
Remus Lupin, a character in the Harry Potter series (1997–2007) and Jacob Black, a character in the Twilight series, are recent examples of werewolf characters who are painted as the protagonists.
Werewolf Story Ideas
Without further ado, below are some enticing werewolf story ideas and prompts to stoke the imagination!
Please note that the genders in these starters are just placeholders and are not meant to enforce any hurtful stereotypes nor offend anyone.
Visit the School of Positive Transformation for High Quality, Accredited Well-Being Courses here.
Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) Books
Fluffy Werewolf Writing Prompts
A werewolf story doesn’t always have to be bleak so here are some werewolf story ideas to add a dash of sweetness into any urban fantasy story.
1. Werewolves are capable of speaking to dogs. One werewolf in particular is gathering intel from his crush’s dog in order to win the owner’s heart.
2. A werewolf who provides service as a professional tracker, from missing things to missing people to missing pets.
3. A veterinarian gets infected with lycanthropy, and all his animal patients can smell that something is wrong with him. Cue an oblivious owner who’s trying to figure out their pet’s sudden change of behavior.
4. A werewolf who looks forward to a full moon night to transform into a wolf because then they’re free to frolic with the local wolf tribe.
5. Following grisly massacres of local farm animals, a pack of werewolves tries to avoid the spotlight and blends more with the society by becoming corn farmers.
Romance-Flavored Werewolf Story Idea
Here are some imaginative werewolf story ideas, with some romantic twists.
1. Inspired by selkie and the folklore The Woman as Wolf, werewolves are wolves with the ability to change to humans by shedding their skin. Write about a werewolf who’s willing to shed his skin forever to be with a woman he loves.
2. A pack of werewolves kidnaps the executive who’s in discussion with the locals about converting the forest, which is the werewolves’ habitat, into a shopping mall. What happens when the alpha leader falls in love with the executive? (Originally appeared in 12 Thrilling Paranormal Romance Writing Prompts.)
3. From her late grandfather, a girl inherits a farm that borders with a lush forest, but unbeknownst to her, her late grandfather has made a special pact with the local werewolf tribe who lives in that forest.
4. During a lone hiking trip, a hiker passes out and receives help from a woman who turns out to be a werewolf. The twist is, her tribe changed him into a werewolf while he was unconscious because the elders wouldn’t let the woman assist anyone who wasn’t one of their own. (Originally appeared in Romance Story Ideas with a Unique Twist.)
5. A comedic take on how a man is trying to hide the fact that he’s a werewolf from his fiancée, and meanwhile, the fiancée is trying to hide from him the fact that she’s a vampire.
Here are some picture-based werewolf story ideas, because, a picture speaks a thousand words! Below are some image prompts as well as some prompt ideas to accompany each.
(Please click on the image for more information.)
1. Tired of the misconceptions surrounding werewolves, a werewolf decides to become the hero of the city. But he has to face oppositions from his werewolves kin who are all too comfortable with their old ways of living.
2. A man who’s been cured of his werewolf curse is unable to forget all the atrocities he committed while he was a werewolf, and slowly, he regresses into his old self and regains his werewolf instincts.
(Click on the image for more information.)
1. The newest sheriff in town must unravel the cases of grisly murders that only happen once a month. Meanwhile, at home, he has to deal with a rebellious young adult daughter who hangs out with the wrong crowd.
2. A werewolf whose weakness is the sound of a baby crying, which will change them back into human right away.
(Please click on the image for more information.)
1. When Little Red Riding Hood is bitten by the big, bad werewolf, she must attempt to hide the ailment and find a cure before her grandma finds out and turns the entire village against her.
2. During a Halloween event, a woman meets an enigmatic man dressed as a werewolf. Only, she finds out later that it isn’t a costume.
There they are, 16 werewolf story ideas that will hopefully get your inspiration going. For more story ideas and prompts, please browse our Story Ideas & Writing Prompts category!
Have any question or feedback? Feel free to contact me here. Until next time!